Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Guided Reading FAQ


1.  How many groups do you meet with a day?
This varies from year to year.  This year, I met with two or three.  One group was met with in the morning while the other students were at centers and the other group was met with after lunch while the other students were doing self selected reading.  *The second group was always a higher group, so I only met with them for 15 minutes to give them some self-selected reading time.  I didn't meet with the second/third groups every day; rather 2-3 times a week.  This allowed them to have some self-selected reading time.

2.  Is your classroom library leveled?
No.  My first few years of teaching it was and I hated it!  I realized that kids were being "forced" to read books on their level rather than books they were interested in.  This made me sad.  It made me realize that I was not helping my students build a love for reading by letting them read/look at ANY books.  I switched to grouping my library by theme about 3 years into my practice and 10 years later it's still going strong.  My kids love to read!


3.  How do you assess during guided reading time?
I of course use a running record quarterly.  In addition, I use leveled checklists during groups.  I take anecdotal notes on each child.  I also have their quarterly and weekly sight word assessments.



4.  How much time do you have for guided reading?
About 30 minutes in the morning and 15-20 after lunch.

5.  How do you organize your guided reading materials?
I keep my guided reading materials organized in bins by skills.  I actually keep ALL of my Phonics and Math materials organized this way.  It allows me to grab a bin, pull and activity, and go.  I have done this for most of my teaching career and I love it!  People always comment on how easy it is to find things in my room.


That's it for my "Everything Guided Reading" post!  Please comment with questions below.  You can always email me at meganwheeler44@yahoo.com if you have specific questions!  I'm linking two of my favorite Guided Reading PD books in case you want to snag one or two to read this summer!

                                                       

xo
Megan

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!